Friday, September 21, 2012

Don't Wig Out!



Don't let this whole costume thing stress you out.

A simple and fun costume idea is as close as your local wig shop.

Or you might be lucky enough to possess a few fashion forward family heirlooms like we have.

You may not know this, but our mother graduated from beauty school back in the early 60s. Growing up, we not only had wigs, but falls (a fancy word for hair pieces), bags and bags of rollers, and a fabulous old dryer chair. In the winter I would just sit under the dryer to get warm, sometimes flipping over in the chair to take the chill off my feet. That chair was my favorite piece of furniture in the whole house.




Our mom really rocked those wigs. Looking back, I'm not sure if she was channeling Marie Antoinette or emulating Priscilla Presley. All I know is I wanted to be just like her when I grew up.

Mom- it was the 70s.
Me, the wig, and cousin Paul

This particular wig was worn by all three of us girls for Halloween costumes year after year. It was braided for Pocahontas, teased and tamed into a Bride of Frankenstein beehive, then twisted, rolled and pinned for Princess Leia.

And that wig goes on and on. Resurrected every year, it gets a thorough raking as part of mom's wickedest witch costume. I wonder if it will make an appearance this year?


 

And the moral of this story is: Hair today, Goon tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment